(with notes from mom:)
Here was the secret chicken soup which cured my sore throat & cold (along with pills, and green tea with honey)
Stock pot full of water.
Chicken plus 2 extra breasts, or thighs
4 celery stalks
2 large or 3 medium white carrots (parsnips)
1 large onion (not sweet)
- Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours.
- remove chicken
- remove carrots and parsnips
- Pour soup through a sieve into another large pot. Discard bones and other stuff from sieve.
- Take 2 carrots and 1 large or 2 small parsnips and puree with some of the liquid in an Osterizer or Cuisinart.
Return to the soup pot with the rest of the liquid. Soup should not be thick…it should still look like chicken soup but yellower and just a bit more substance.
When ready to serve
- Boil some soup noodles in separate pot.
- Cut up some of the chicken.
- Slice remaining soup carrots.
- Put some noodles, chicken and carrots into each bowl. Fill bowl with soup liquid. Snip some extra parsley on top.
This is meant to be a whole dinner…It’s way too much food for just a starter. You could add more vegetables (Peas, carrots, mixed veggies etc.) Serve with nice bread. Oops, forgot …before serving, add salt and pepper to soup. I always add salt last in case someone has high blood pressure etc.