January 4, 1998
Lau- Gramma mailed me this recipe for the Balic Fish. That’s the Gefilte Fish made out of chicken. I copied it here directly. –Michelle
4 chicken breasts (totally defatted)
1 large onion &anp; 1 medum size onion
two slices challah or white bread– crusts cut off
1 tsp salt for the water / 1 tsp salt for the chicken
1 dash white pepper for water / 1 dash white pepper for chicken
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
9 buy a jar of horseradish
- In a large pot, put 2 – 2 1/2 inches of water,the gelatin, slice in the large onion, 1 teaspoon salt, dash of white pepper. Bring to a simmer (slow boil).
- Grind together: the chicken, the medium onion, the bread. Add: the beaten egg, 1 teaspoon salt, dash white pepper.
- Use a pastry blender to beat the chicken mixture until light and fluffy and completely mixed (you may have to add a little water)./li>
- Gently shape mixture into ovals and lay into water. If you must put in a second layer of ovals, first put some of the boiling sauce gently over the first layer.
- Put the carrot on top. Remove from heat. When lukewarm, gently remove the ovals with a slotted spoon and arrange on platter. Put a slice of carrot on each oval.
- Put cooled sauce, which has been reduced during cooking, through a strainer into a glass bowl and refrigerate.
- Serve with horseradish next day.