(from Enoteca Restaurant in Douglaston, Queens)
- Two butternut squash – peeled seeded and cubed
- Two red onions peeled and julienned
- Four Tbs. Olive Oil
- Four ounces proscuitto- sliced paper tin and then chopped
- 1 _ quarts chicken broth or stock
- 1 Tbs. Fresh sage – chopped
- 3 Tbs. Maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish of roasted pecans
- Coat the bottom of a soup pot with the olive oil, then place on a medium/low heat.
- Add the onions and slowly cook them for about twenty-five minutes. No color should then be left to the onions.
- Add the squash, prosciutto, sage and chicken broth or stock, and simmer slowly until the squash is tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and process, slowly adding the syrup, salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, roast the pecans in a 375-degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Garnish.
Notes: I baked the squash at 350 for 45 minutes, then chopped it up an skinned it. Much less frustrating that way. Also, this whole recipe seems to take about 2 hours to make.