Mom’s Passover Sponge Cake (the original recipe)
- 3/4 cup Matzo cake meal
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 yolks
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind (or orange)
- 6 whites beaten very stiff till they look like the Alps
- Mix matzo meal and starch and salt together
- Beat yolks till thick gradually adding sugar.
- Add matzo meal mixture alternately with orange juice.
- Fold in walnuts and lemon or orange rind.
- Fold in whites very slowly and carefully
- Turn into a 9 inch round tube pan and bake (325?) for 1 hour or till browned and cake shrinks away from sides of pan. Cool on rack.
- Remove inside of pan and carefully loosen the bottom of cake fro the tube with a knife. Invert on to a plate and flip right side up to serve.
Optional Lemon Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (made with tapioca starch for Passover – not corn)
- 1 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 3 tsp. lemon juice